Info sheets: Hike it, Bike it
A collection of leaflets describing the things you need to know to help teach your child about staying safe on roads, cycling, walking, taking the bus and near railways.
Tip: The PDF can be printed on A3 or A4 paper. Use your printer properties or advanced controls to print the leaflet two-sided, flipped on the short edge. This will produce a foldable leaflet-style copy.
To enquire about ordering the printed version of this resource, go to the NZ Transport Agency resource section:
Hike it Bike it (NZ Transport Agency resources)
PDF Document, 1.5 MB
This leaflet describes the things you need to know to help teach your child about staying safe on roads, cycling, walking, taking the bus and near railways. Keep it somewhere to use as a handy reference tool.
PDF Document, 626.8 KB
Help your child to:
- Walk facing oncoming traffic.
- Keep as far off the road as possible.
- Walk in single file, shortest person at the front, so everyone can see oncoming traffic.
- Listen very carefully. Vehicles can approach at high speed and be heard long before they are seen.
- If a vehicle is coming, stop and stay back from the roadside until it has passed.
- If you can’t see the road ahead clearly, be extra careful.
PDF Document, 539.6 KB
Teach your child about how to be safe when walking together or alone.
PDF Document, 518.9 KB
Teach your child about how to be safe when taking the bus.
PDF Document, 293.1 KB
Teach your child about how to be safe when traveling as a passenger in a car.
PDF Document, 295.5 KB
Explain to children the danger of trains, railway tracks and the areas around the track
PDF Document, 790.7 KB
Children should know how to ride safely and be confident in traffic before attempting to ride to school, with or without you.
You can also view the Hike It, Bike It infosheets in Tongan, Samoan, Māori, and Cook Islands Māori