The Feet First resources provide learning experiences for teacher-directed inquiry. They align to the values, key competencies and achievement objectives of the NZ Curriculum.
Contents include learning intentions, learning experiences, thinking strategies, what if questions, ICT resources, and self-assessment examples for curriculum levels 1 to 5.
- connect students to the people, places and environments around them
- encourage them to be actively involved participants and contributors to the well-being of their communities and environments
- provide experiences to develop critical and creative thinking and decision making.
- Term 1 Walking and Road Safety
- Term 2 Walking and Exploring
- Term 3 Walking and Creating
- Term 4 Walking and Helping the Planet
- Student Inquiry
Feet First Term 1 curriculum resources
- English (visual language): Create your static image to communicate the idea of road safety.
- English: Create a piece of explanation writing using road safety as your theme.
- Health and PE: Create an individual safety management plan depending on how students get to school.
- Maths (geometry): Students use online tools to plan a route the class will walk around so that students can identify different road signs.
- Maths and stats: Lesson ideas for collecting and displaying road safety data.
- Technology: Design technology to improve the visibility of children walking near roads.
All Term 1 Walking and Road resources
English - Road safety and visual language
English - Road safety and writing explanations
Health & PE - Road safety and communities
Maths & Stats - Road Safety and geometry of road signs
Maths & Stats - Road safety - A statistical investigation
Technology - Road safety and making child pedestrians visible
Feet First Term 2 curriculum resources
- Health and PE: Describe contexts for walking where you will need to make safe choices.
- Maths and stats: Map and measure walking routes.
- Science: Describe and sequence changes to a natural environment.
- Social Science: Create an online resource where you can share an identified place (a natural or man-made feature) you walk past in your local area.
- Technology: Focus on transforming walkways by developing feasible outcomes.
- The arts (visual art): Develop visual ideas in response to walking in different environments, and the work of pavement artists.
All Term 2 Walking and Exploring Resources
Health & PE - Exploring safe walking
Maths & Stats - Exploring how far it is
Science - Exploring living things and habitats
Social Science - Exploring people and places
Technology - Exploring walking surfaces
The Arts - Visual Art Exploring pavement art
Feet First Term 3 curriculum resources
- English: Creating poems.
- Health and PE: Create a class walking programme.
- Health and PE: Describe and explain the relationships formed with people with whom you walk.
- Science: Create resources that map natural resources in your local area.
- Social science: Identify and map the changes in a local place you walk through.
- The arts (music): Take a sound walk in the local environment, record and represent the sounds heard.
All Term 3 Walking and Creating Resources
English - Creating new text when walking
HealthPE - Creating a healthier me
HealthPE - Creating relationships when walking
Science - Creating sustainable environments
SocialScience - Creating new places
The Arts Music - Creating music from sounds heard when walking
Feet First Term 4 curriculum resources
- English: Argument writing about walking.
- Health and PE: Implement a collective action to take meet the care and needs of people in an identified environment.
- Maths and stats: Can we help the planet by using statistics to investigate travelling to school?
- Science: Explore how human action affects natural features and resources.
- Social sciences: Identify the ways people travelled in your local area in the past.
- Technology: Transform transport by making it easier for people to walk with young children in your area.
All term 4 Walking and Helping the Planet Resources
English - Helping the planet argument writing
HealthPE - Helping the planet communities walking
MathsStats - Helping the planet statistical investigation
Science - Helping the planet walking for clean air and water
SocialScience - Helping the planet the way we travel
Technology - Helping the planet walking with young children
Feet First curriculum resources for student inquiry
- Term 1: Investigate and create plans around alternative means of transport, changing behaviours, international road safety issues or local traffic congestion.
- Term 2: Produce walking track information for kids’ walking tours in your local area – paper based or digital.
- Term 3: Design a 'City of the Future' that supports sustainable transport.
- Term 4: Describe and explain a valuable resource for you as a young person living in New Zealand and predict how it can be protected into the future.