Primary curriculum resources
As a result of learning using these road safety resources children will be knowledgeable and confident about all forms of transportation. They will be actively involved in making journeys around their community safer.
Through adopting effective teaching and learning pedagogies and using road and rail safety resources students will develop a broad range of knowledge, skills and attitudes to:
- apply creative and critical thinking to make decisions and shape actions for safer journeys;
- use language, symbols, and texts to describe information gained and influence others to endorse decisions and carry out actions for safer journeys;
- manage themselves resourcefully when establishing goals and implementing actions for safer journeys;
- interact effectively with people to come up with new approaches, ways of thinking and actions for safer journeys;
- be part of and contribute to their community where all members experience safer journeys.
Memorial Park Update
First virtual field trip ran November 19-21, 2013 and teaching resources now online. Workers are building a tunnel to put part of State Highway 1 underground in Wellington. This will create space for a unified National Memorial Precinct. Work to finish before the centenary of the Gallipoli landings on Anzac Day 2015.
Waterview Connection Update
Virtual field trips start 2014. Twin motorway tunnels are under construction to complete Auckland’s western ring route.
Digging the tunnels is up to a team of experts, and Alice – the world’s 10th biggest tunnel boring machine. Alice has her own Facebook page.
More resourcesFind the latest road safety education resources from New Zealand and overseas, on the NZTA Pinterest board:
Read case studies of New Zealand primary students learning with NZ Transport Agency curriculum resources.
Resources to help you when planning lessons on organising safe travel to a big event.
This is the gateway to the Feet First - Walk to School Every Week Resources.
This Road Map directs schools and communities to road safety education resources relevant for each stage of a child’s development.
Resources to help you when planning lessons on rail safety.
Resources to help you when planning lessons on safe cycling.
Resources to help you when planning lessons on being a safe passenger.
Resources to help you when planning lessons on safety for pedestrians.